BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Riley's (partial) cause of death

The doc's office doesn't have all the results back but the autopsy result (some of them) came back. Apparently, Riley's brain did not develop and all he had was a brain stem. The doc is thinking its a chromosomal disorder called anencephaly which is a neural tube defect. I have heard of this before, years ago on TV, and its pretty much fatal in 100% of cases either before birth or shortly thereafter.

Knowing this gives me peace to know that A: I didn't do anything wrong and B: that it means more than likely he didn't feel any pain. Also, the doc said it's very rare to have this issue recur in future pgs.

It doesn't make it hurt any less but it does give us a little peace in our sorrow. It hurts to know that even though I took my prenatals as well as a folic acid supplement for months prior to and during my pregnancy that my poor Riley still succumbed to this condition, but honestly I do feel like I did everything I could so at least I don't have the nagging "why didn't I..." feelings and that offers a small amount of comfort.

Like I said this may not be the final Dx, there may be more to this since all the results are not back (could take a month or more) but as of right now either way it goes I know he never would have made it no matter what I did or didn't do. I need to do more research on this but for now this is all this info I have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly
http://www.medindia.com/patients/patientInfo/Images/anencephaly.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment